People and Culture in Oceania Archives
Formerly, Man and Culture in Oceania
- Rodolfo Maggio Big Confusion: The Land Question in Honiara and the History of Land Policy in Solomon Islands, pp.1-28.
- Hiromi Yoshida We Are All Relaxed: Discursive Identities of Young Hawaiian Language Learners, pp.29-58.
- Book Review
- Akira Goto Royal Hawaiian Featherwork: Nã Hutu Ali`i ,pp.59-61.
- Rintaro Ono The Lapita Cultural Complex in Time and Space Expansion Routes, Chronologies and Typologies, pp.63-69.
- Tomo lshimura Prehistoric Marine Resource Use in the Indo-Pacific Regions, pp.71-74.
- Jun Baba The Making of Legal Subject in Papua New Guinea: Support Agents and Situated Learning for the Modem Lawsuit in Manus Province, pp.1-24.
- Masaharu Kawano Open Hospitality towards Other Traditional Leaders: Receiving Guests under Chiefly Authority in Pohnpei, Micronesia, pp.25-49.
- Book Review
- Akiko lida Thinking Like an Island Navigating a Sustainable Future in Hawai'I, pp.51-53.
- Fumi Watanabe The Pacific Festivals of Aotearoa New Zealand: Negotiating Place and Identity in a New Homeland, pp.55-57.
- Kasey F. Robb and Patrick D. Nunn Vatutāqiri An Immense Stone-walled
Fortification on the Vatia Peninsula, Northern Viti Levu Island, Fiji, pp.1-19.
- Shinichi Fujii How Did Solomon Islanders Live with Conflict? A Case Study of
Daily Life in Northeastern Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, pp.21-40.
- Akari Konya Materialization of Story in Palau through the Experience of
Carving and Painting, pp.41-56.
- Takaki Hirose Survival Strategies of a Society Dependent on Borassus flabellifer
during the Dry Season in Raijua Island, Eastern Indonesia: Analysis of Diet, Livelihood,
and Society, pp.57-72.
- Indah Widiastuti and Tsukasa lnaoka Small-scale Freshwater Aquaculture Practices in Indonesia (1) Farmers? Livelihood and Impacts on Environment, pp.73-83.
- Indah Widiastuti and Tsukasa lnaoka Small-scale Freshwater Aquaculture Practices in Indonesia (2) Floating Net Culture in Lake Maninjau, pp89-104.
- Rintaro Ono, Santoso Soegondho, and Joko Siswanto Possible
Development of Regional Maritime Networks during the 16th to 19th
Centuries: An Excavation Report of the Bukit Tiwing Site in the Talaud
Islands, Eastern Indonesia, pp.1-33.
- Takuro Furusawa, Yukari Fuchigami, Shigeo Kobayashi, and Makoto Yokota
Evaluation of Mangrove Biomass Changes due to Different Human Activities
in Batam Island, Indonesia, Determined Using MODIS EVI and ASTER Data, pp.35-50.
- Fumi Watanabe The Network of Actions: On the Collectivity in the Vicinity
of Red Wave Art, pp.51-68.
Takashi Gakuhari, Michiko Intoh, Takanori Nakano, and Minoru Yoneda
Strontium Isotope Analysis of Prehistoric Faunal Remains Excavated from Fais Island in Micronesia, pp.69-81.
Vol. 28, 2012
- Ryuju Satomi An Unsettling Seascape: Kastom and Shifting
Identity among the Lau in North Malaita, Solomon Islands, pp.1-22. (abstract, Keywords:
kastom, landscape, Christianity, saltwater people, artificial islands.)
- Ritsuko Kikusawa Standardization as Language Loss: Potentially
Endangered Malagasy Languages and Their Linguistic Features, pp.23–44. (abstract, Keywords: Madagascar,
standardization, regional varieties, edible aroids, pronouns.)
- Guido Carlo Pigliasco “Are They Evil?”: Denominational
Competition and Cultural Demonization on a Fijian Island, pp.45–68. (abstract, Keywords: Fiji,
firewalking, cultural heritage, Christianity, dogmatic schism.)
- Anton Setyo Nugroho, Miho Fujimura and Tsukasa Inaoka Quality
of Life in Majalengka, Indonesia: The Socioeconomic Status of Farmers
and Environmental Conditions after Transmigration (transmigrasi),
pp.69–86. (abstract, Keywords:
transmigration, farmer, socioeconomic status (SES), environmental
conditions, quality of life (QOL).)
Dominik Schieder Why Fijian Ethnonationalism Alone Is Not
the Answer: A Political Anthropology Perspective, pp.87–96. (Keywords:
politics, nationalism, conflict, identity, tradition, democracy,
- Book Review
Yoko Nojima Christophe
Sand and Stuart Bedford (eds.), “Lapita: Ancêtres Océaniens (Oceanic
Ancestors)”, Somogy Éditions d’Art, Musée du quai Branly, Paris,
2010, 304pp. ISBN: Musée du quai Branly 978-2-35744-028-9, ISBN:
Somogy editions d’art 978-2-7572-0367-5, pp.111–114.
Vol. 27, 2011
- Takuro Furusawa Ecological and Economic Analyses of Urbanization in the Customary Lands of the Solomon Islands, pp. 1-17. (abstract, Key Words: Human ecology, urban ecology, cash income, obesity, Roviana, Munda.)
- Natsuko Higa Dance, Money, and Interaction: Microanalysis of a Fund-raising Concert in the Kingdom of Tonga, pp. 19-37. (abstract, Key Words: dance, money, interaction, performativity, Tonga.)
- Scarlett Chiu Lapita-Scape: Research Possibilities Using the Digital Database of Lapita Pottery, pp. 39-63. (abstract, Key Words: Lapita pottery, database, stylistic analysis.)
- Boyd Dixon and Laura Gilda A Comparison of an Inland Latte Period Community to Coastal Settlement Patterns Observed on Southern Guam, pp. 65-86. (abstract, Key Words: Mariana Islands, Latte Period, Chamorro Society.)
- Sota Yamamoto Use of Capsicum frutescens on Pohnpei Island, Mokil Atoll, and Pingelap Atoll, Federated States of Micronesia, pp. 87-104. (abstract, Key Words: dispersal routes, ethnobotany, leaves as vegetable, local nomenclature, medicinal use, spice, uncultivated plants.)
- Book Review
Makiko Nishitani Villagers and the City: Melanesian Experiences of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, By Michael Goddard (ed.), Sean Kingston Publishing, Wantage, 2010, 177pp., ISBN:9780955640063.
Vol. 26, 2010
- Kiyoshi Tadokoro An Analysis of the Organization of Groups for Fish Poisoning among the Tewada of Papua New Guinea, pp. 1-22. (abstract, Key Words: fishing, kinship, leadership, great-men model, Angan societies.)
- Takashi Mita Alternative Futures of State-Making in the Pacific Islands: The Case of the Republic of Palau, pp. 23-55. (abstract, Key Words: Palau, state-making, globalization, futures studies, alternative futures, deductive forecasting method.)
- Yoko Nojima Pottery as Cooking Vessels: The Persistence of Pottery Technology in the Western Coast of Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu, pp. 57-79. (abstract, Key Words: ethnographic pottery, cooking, social dimensions, west coast Santo, Vanuatu, Melanesia.)
- Norio Niwa Leaving their Tradition Behind: Development of the Lami Movement in Fiji from 1949 to the 1990s, pp. 81-108. (abstract, Key Words: custom, modernity, inversion of tradition, cooperative, Bula Tale, Lami, Fiji.)
- Fumi Watanabe The Collective, the Individual and "Red Wave Art": The Importance of Styles at the Oceania Centre for Arts and Culture, pp. 109-136. (abstract, Key Words: art anthropology, Red Wave art, the Oceania Centre for Arts and Culture, style, collectivity, Fiji, Oceanic identity.)
- Ritsuko Kikusawa Collaborating in the Compilation of the Satawalese Cultural Dictionary: Thirty Years of a Dictionary Project Initiated by Cultural Anthropologists, pp. 137-147.
Vol. 25, 2009
- Fukayama Naoko Securing a Turangawaewae in the Urban Area: A Case Analysis of the Establishment of Papakura Marae, pp. 1-21. (abstract, Key Words: New Zealand Māori, urban migrant Māori, marae, periphery, establishment of Papakura Marae, home tribal group, place of residence, identity.)
- Ai Ling Lee, Kazumichi Katayama, Michiko Intoh Morphological Examination of the Human Skeletal Remains from Fais Island, Federated States of Micronesia, pp. 23-52. (abstract, Key Words: human skeleton, Fais Island, Micronesia, pathology, morphology.)
- Yo Negishi and Rintaro Ono Kasasinabwana Shell Midden: The Prehistoric Ceramic Sequence of Wari Island in the Massim, Eastern Papua New Guinea, pp. 53-84. (abstract, Key Words: Massim, midden, typological chronology, colonization hypothesis, Early Papuan Pottery (EPP), Kula, Kune, Kasasinabwana Plain Pottery (KPP), Post-Lapita variability.)
- Ramle bin Abdullah Piyey: An Analysis of the Heritage Dwellings in the Indigenous Semaq Beri Community in Terengganu, Malaysia, pp. 85-96.
- Nancy J. Pollock The Frigate Bird Cult in Eastern Micronesia, pp. 97-100.
- Book Review
- Toru Yamaguchi Patrick D. Nunn "Vanished Islands and Hidden Continents of the Pacific", University of Hawai'i Press, Honolulu, 2009, 269 pp. ISBN: 9780824832193, pp. 101-105.
Vol. 24, 2008
- Shingo Iitaka Appropriating Successive Colonial Experiences to Represent National Culture: A Case Analysis of the Revival of War Canoes in Palau, Micronesia, pp. 1-29. (abstract, Key Words: Palau, successive colonial experiences, war canoes, national culture, Festival of Pacific Arts)
- Tetsu Ichikawa The Role of Religion in Chinese Subethnicity: Christian Communities of Papua New Guinean Chinese in Australia, pp. 31-50. (abstract, Key Words: Chinese, Papua New Guinea, Australia, subethnicity, Christianity, migration, settlement)
- Matori Yamamoto Migration and Tourism Development in Samoa, pp. 51-66. (abstract, Key Words: Samoa, tourism development, festival, cultural policy, migration)
- Michiko Intoh and Masaki Eda A Zooarchaeological and Ethnographic Study of Frigatebird Remains from Tobi Island in Micronesia, pp. 67-79.
- Book Review
- Masayuki Onishi, Syuntaro Tida, Rintaro Ono, Yo Negishi, Kiyoshi Tadokoro, and Takuro Furusawa Andrew Pawley, Robert Attenborough, Jack Golson, and Robin Hide (eds.) "Papuan Pasts: Cultural, Linguistic, and Biological Histories of Papuan-speaking People", pp. 81-87.
Vol. 23, 2007
- Paul van der Grijp First Mission in Western Polynesia: The Dramatic Tongan Experience of the London Missionary Society, pp. 1-31. (abstract, Key Words: social drama, missionaries, beachcombers, chiefs, Tonga, Polynesia)
- Daichi Ishimori Disentangling Fundamentalism and Nativistic Movements: An Analysis of the Christian Fellowship Church in the Solomon Islands, pp. 33-52. (abstract, Key Words: nativistic movements, fundamentalism, religious revival, colonial inequality, CFC, Solomon Islands)
- Sachiko Kubota Planning the Local Museum: Anthropology and Art in the Post-modern Era, pp. 53-72. (abstract, Key Words: art, museum, representation, knowledge, identity)
- Kazumichi Katayama, Patrick D. Nunn, Roselyn Kumar, Sepeti Matararaba, Masao Minagawa, and Hirotaka Oda Osteological Description of the Lapita-associated Human Skeleton Discovered on Moturiki Island, Fiji. pp. 73-98.
- Book Reviews
- Masahiro Umezaki Ryutaro Ohtsuka and Stanley J. Ulijaszek (eds.), "Health Change in the Asia-Pacific Region: Biocultural and Epidemiological Approaches" pp. 99-101.
- Rintaro Ono Foss Reach, jointly published by the New Zealand Journal of Archaeology (Special Publication) and Archaeofauna (Volume 15), "Fishing in Pre-European New Zealand" pp. 103-107.
Vol. 22, 2006
- Mike T. Carson Samoan Cultivation Practices in Archaeological Perspective, pp. 1-29. (abstract, Key Words: Samoa, cultivation, land use, archaeology, transported landscapes, Polynesia)
- Rintaro Ono Ethnoarchaeology of Pottery Stove Production and Use among the Sama, East Coast of Borneo, pp. 31-51. (abstract, Key Words: pottery stove, Sama, pottery production, subsistence patterns, marine-based economy, ethnoarchaeology)
- Michiko Intoh and Rintaro Ono Reconnaissance Archaeological Research on Tobi Island, Palau, pp. 53-83. (abstract, Key Words: Tobi, Palau, archaeology, colonization history, chicken, marine resource)
- Kazuhiro Kazama Rapid Prevalence of Kava-Drinking in Kiribati, Central Pacific, pp. 85-106. (abstract, Key Words: kava, tobacco, drug, gift exchange, gender, communality, Kiribati)
- Takuya Nagaoka and Junko Konishi Western Culture Comes from the East: A Consideration of the Origin and Diffusion of the Micronesian Marching Dance, pp. 107-136. (abstract, Key Words: Marching dance, Micronesia, ethnomusicology, colonial experience, cultural identity)
- Book Review
- Shuzo Koyama Social Archaeology of Australian Indigenous Societies, edited by Bruno David, Bryce Baker, and Ian J. McNiven. pp. 137-139.
Vol. 21, 2005
- Tetsu Ichikawa The Chinese Experience during the Japanese Occupation in New Guinea. pp.1-18.(abstract, Key Words: Chinese experience; New Guinea; Japanese occupation)
- Yoko Komai The Failure to Objectify Culture: A Lack of Nationalism in the Federated States of Micronesia. pp.19-41.(abstract, Key Words: cultural objectification; the Federated States of Micronesia; nationalism; the discourses of political leaders; unintended consequences)
- Norio Niwa The Early Development of the Bula Tale Co-operative in Fiji Islands: Its Experimental Practice and Aftermath. pp.43-58.(abstract, Key Words: inversion of tradition; co-operative group; communism; the Bula Tale; the Lami)
- Takae Ichimoto Dealing with Transforming Self/s of Japanese Women Studying in Australian Universities: A Conceptual Framework. pp.59-85.(abstract, Key Words: Femininity, Globalisation, Higher Education, Identity, Japanese Women)
- Patrick D. Nunn, Paul Geraghty, Elia Nakoro, Alifereti Nasila, Samuela Tukidia Vuniivilevu and Burotu: The Geography, Ethnography, and Hazard Implications of Vanished Islands in Fiji. pp.87-114.(abstract, Key Words: island; oral traditions; Fiji; collapse; geography; ethnography; hazards)
Vol. 20, 2005
The Pacific in the 21st Century Formation of New Culture and Identity
- Epeli Hau'ofa The Development of Contemporary Oceanic Arts, pp. 5-12.(abstract, Key Words:arts; culture; development; Oceania)
- Linus S. Digim'Rina Food Security through Traditions: Replanting Trees and Wise Practices, pp. 13-36. (abstract, Key Words: Trobriand Islands; droughts; El Ni?o; food security; globalization; dependency; agency; traditions; wise practices; modern wisdom)
- Ralph Regenvanu The Changing Face of "Custom" in Vanuatu, pp. 37-50. (abstract, Key Words: Vanuatu; custom; role of chiefs; Cultural Centre; education system)
- Daniel M. T. Fessler Never Eat Alone: The Meaning of Food Sharing in a Sumatran Fishing Village, pp. 51-67. (abstract, Key Words: food sharing; fishing; reciprocity; Bengkulu; Indonesia)
- Anne Di Piazza Excavations at Avarua (RAK-1): A Late Archaeological Assemblage from a Pearl Shell Workshop on Rakahanga, Northern Cook Islands, pp. 69-88. (abstract, Key Words: Cook Islands; Rakahanga; Te Kainga; prehistory; pearl shell)
- Book Review
- Naoko Fukayama The Trial of the Cannibal Dog: Captain Cook in the South Seas, written by Anne Salmond. pp. 89-93.
Vol. 19, 2003
- P.V. Kirch, S. O'Day, J. Coil, M. Morgenstein, K. Kawelu, and M. Millerstrom The Kaupikiawa Rockshelter, Kalaupapa Peninsula, Moloka'i: New Investigations and Reinterpretation of its Significance for Hawaiian Prehistory, pp.1-27. (abstract Key Words: Polynesia; Hawai'i; archaeology; geoarchaeology; environmental change; zooarchaeology; paleoethnobotany)
- Ritsuko Kikusawa Did Proto-Oceanians Cultivate Cyrtosperma Taro?, pp.29-54. (abstract Key Words: Cyrtosperma taro; lexical comparison; lexical borrowing; Proto-Oceanic; Proto-Chuukic Ponapeic)
- Scott M. Fitzpatrick, Greg C. Nelson, and Ryan Reeves The Prehistoric Chewing of Betel Nut (Area catechu) in Western Micronesia, pp. 55-65. (abstract Key Words: Areca catechu; betel nut; domesticates; Palau; Micronesia; Austronesian)
- Satoshi Mori Multicacial/Multiethnic Identity: A Study of "Mixed" Yonsei in Hawai'i, pp. 67-81. (abstract Key Words: Hawaii'i; race/ethnicity; multiracial/multiethnic; Japanese American; yonsei; mixed)
- Mike T. Carson Integrating Fragments of a Settlement Pattern and Cultural Sequence in Wainiha Valley, Kaua'i, Hawaiian Islands, pp. 83-105. (abstract Key Words: Hawaii; settlement pattern; cultural sequence; regional modeling)
- Book Review
- Richard J. Parmentier: Modekngei: A New Religion in Belau, Micronesia, written by Machiko Aoyagi. pp. 107-108.
Vol. 18, 2002
- Fife, Wayne Heroes and Helpers, Missionaries and Teachers: Between Mimesis and Appropriation in Pre-Colonial New Guinea. pp.1-22. (abstract Key Words: missionaries; Papua New Guinea; mimesis; Polynesian teachers; discourse; heroism)
- Weisler, Marshall I. and Daris Swindler Rocker Jaws from the Marshall Islands: Evidence for Interaction Between Eastern Micronesia and West Polynesia. pp.23-33. (abstract Key Words: skeletal biology; rocker jaws; Micronesia; Polynesia; Marshall Islands; prehistoric archaeology; interaction; radiocarbon dating)
- Nakazawa, Minato, Taro Yamauchi, Motomu Tanaka, Daichi Ishimori, Takuro Furusawa, Taishi Midorikawa, and Ryutaro Ohtsuka Community Health Assessment by Urine Dipstick Screening in Relation to the Variety of Lifestyles in the Solomon Islands. pp.35-44. (abstract Key Words: urine dipstick test; community health; urinary tract infection; diabetes; modernization; urinary; pH; dietary habit)
- Odani, Shingo Subsistence Ecology of the Slash and Mulch Cultivating Method: Empirical Study in the Great Papuan Plateau of Papua New Guinea. pp.45-63. (abstract Key Words: banana; sweet potato; slash and mulch; slash and burn; longhouse community; social change; subsistence system)
- Okamura, Toru Japanese Language Teaching in Nauru during the Occupation. pp.65-75.
- Ishimura, Tomo In the Wake of Lapita: Transformation of Lapita Designs and Gradual Dispersal of the Lapita Peoples. pp.77-97.
- Book Riviews
- Nakamura, Junko A. Bensa and I. Leblic (eds.), "En Pays Kanak: Ethnologie, Linguistique, Archéologie, Histoire de la Nouvelle-Calédonie." pp.99-101.
- Sekiguchi, Tokimasa K. Pisarkowa, "Jezykoznawstwo Bronislawa Malinowskiego = (The Linguistics of Bronislaw Malinowski)." pp.102-104.
Vol. 17, 2001
- Leach, B. Foss, Janet M. Davidson, Meredith Robertshawe, and Penelope C. Leach Identification, Nutritional Yield, and Economic Role of Tuatua Shellfish, Paphies spp., in New Zealand Archaeological Sites, pp.1-26. (abstract Key words: New Zealand; archaeozoology; shellfish; tuatua; Paphies subtriangulata; Paphies donacina; subsistence economics)
- Thomas, Tim The Social Practice of Colonisation: Re-thinking Prehistoric Polynesian Migration, pp.27-46. (abstract Key words: East Polynesia; colonisation; voyaging; archaeology; ideology; power; landscape)
- Suwa, Jun'ichirô Representing Sorrow in Stringband Laments in the Madang Area, Papua New Guinea, pp.47-66. (abstract Key words: guitar band music; lament; Madang; Papua New Guinea; oral poetry; social change)
- Hashimoto, Kazuya Fijian Christianity and Cultural Drama, pp.67-82. (abstract Key words: Fiji; Christianity; drama; ritual; apology; stranger)
- Kazama, Kazuhiro Reorganized Meeting House System: The Focus of Social Life in a Contemporary Village in Tabiteuea South, Kiribati., pp.83-113. (abstract Key words: globalization; peripheral society; village autonomy; meeting house system; decision making; Tabiteuea South; Micronesia)
- Book Reviews
- Intoh, Michiko M. Weisler (ed.), "Prehistoric Long-Distance Interaction in Oceania: An Interdisciplinary Approach." New Zealand Archaeological Association Mongraph 21, Auckland, 1997, pp.115-116.
- Toyoda, Yukio Robert L. Welsch, "An American Anthropologist in Melanesia: A.B. Lewis and the Joseph N. Field South Pacific Expedition 1909-1913." University of Hawai'i Press, Honolulu, 1998, pp.117-120.
Vol. 16, 2000
- Peter Bellwood Some Thoughts on Understanding the Human Colonisation of the Pacific, pp.5-17. (abstract Key words: Southeast Asia; Oceania; archaeology; prehistory; colonisation; linguistic history)
- Janet Davidson The Polynesian Settlement of New Zealand: The Last Frontier of the Oceanic World, pp.19-39. (abstract Key words: colonisation; adaptation; environmental impact; New Zealand; Chatham Islands; Polynesian; Mãori; Moriori)
- Monica Minnegal and Peter D. Dwyer A Sense of Community: Sedentary Nomads of the Interior Lowlands of Papua New Guinea, pp.43-65. (abstract Key words: mobility; nomadism; settlement pattern; Kubo; Papua New Guinea)
- Sara L. Collins and Marshall I. Weisler Human Dental and Skeletal Remains from Henderson Island, Southeast Polynesia, pp.67-85. (abstract Key words: skeletal biology; prehistoric archaeology; Polynesia; Pitcairn group; Henderson Island; radiocarbon dating)
- Pamela J. Stewart and Andrew Strathern Naming Places: Duna Evocations of Landscape in Papua New Guinea, pp.87-107. (abstract Key words: Duna, environment, landscape, mining, Papua New Guinea, place-names, songs)
- Hirokazu Miyazaki The Limits of Politics, pp.109-122. (abstract Key words: agency; politics; temporality; military coups; Christianity; Fiji)
- Yuji Ataka and Ryutaro Ohtsuka Resource Use of a Fishing Community on Baluan Island, Papua New Guinea: Comparison with a Neighboring Horticultural-Fishing Community, pp.123-134. (abstract Key words: resource exploitation; coconut; trochus shell; population increase; Titan-speaking population; Manus)
Vol. 15, 1999
- Andrew Strathern and Pamela J. Stewart Outside and Inside Meanings: Non-Verbal and Verbal Modalities of Agonistic Communication the Wiru of Papua New Guinea. pp.1-22. (abstract Key words: communication; gift; longhouse; pig-kill; Wiru; Papua New Guinea; sorcery; hostility; semiotics; identity)
- Makiko Kuwahara Tahitian Tattooing in the Christianization Process Ideological and Political Shifts Expressed on the Body. pp.23-43 (abstract Key words: Tahiti; the Society Islands; tattooing; clothing; missionaries; legal codes; cultural transformation)
- Chihiro Shirakawa Dengue Fever Outbreak and the Place of Traditional Medicine among the People of Tongoa, Vanuatu. pp.45-64. (abstract Key words: Vanuatu; Tongoa; traditional medicine; Western medicine; medical pluralism; dengue fever outbreak)
- Yukio Kuchikura The Cost of Diet in a Huli Community of Papua New Guinea: A Linear Programming Analysis of Subsistence and Cash-Earning Strategies. pp.65-90. (abstract Key words: purchased foods; nutritional status; subsistence; commodity production; linear programming; the Central Highlands of Papua New Guinea; Huli)
- Kazumi Natsuhara and Ryutaro Ohtsuka Nutritional Ecology of a Modernizing Rural Community in Papua New Guinea: An Assessment from Urinalysis. pp.91-111. (abstract Key words: dietary behavior; modernization; NaCl; Papua New Guinea; snack food)
- Foss Leach, Janet Davidson, and Karen Fraser Pre-European Catches of Labrid Fish in the Chatham Islands and Cook Strait, New Zealand. pp.113-144.(abstract Key words: archaeology; archaeozoology; New Zealand; fish; Labridae family; selective predation)
- Book Reviews
- Kazuya Hashimoto Michek Picard and Robert E. Wood [Eds.] "Tourism, Ethnicity, and the State in Asian and Pacific Societies." pp.145-148.
Vol. 14, 1998
- Sekine, H. Development and Leadership in Santa Isabel, the Solomon Islands. pp.1-29. (abstract; Key words: Santa Isabel; leadership; forestry development; logging; Christianity; kastom)
- Inoue, A. Christian Tradition and Hawaiian Identity: A Study of Cultural Identity of Hawaiian Students. pp.31-68. (abstract; Key words: Hawaiians; cultural identity; ethnicity; Christianity; sovereignty movement; cultural revival; questionnaire)
- Lum, J.K. Central and Eastern Micronesia: Genetics, the Overnight Voyage, and Linguistic Divergence. pp.69-80. (abstract Key words: Micronesia; genetics; geography; language)
- Steadman, D.W. and L.J. Justice Prehistoric Exploitation of Birds on Mangareva, Gambier Islands, French Polynesia. pp.81-98. (abstract Key words: Polynesia; Mangareva; zooarchaeology; birds; extinction)
- Guillaud, D. and H. Forestier Archaeo-Geography of Former Dwelling Sites in Northern New Caledonia (District of Koumac, North Province). pp.99-119. (abstract Key words: settlement patterns; dating methods; stone tools; glass tools; vegetation; agricultural structures; Koumac; New-Caledonia)
- Ito, M. Distribution of Terraced Earthwork Remains, Babeldaob, Palau.
Vol. 13, 1997
- Pietrusewsky, M. Biological Origins of Hawaiians: Evidence from Skulls. pp.1-37. (abstract; Key words: Craniometry; multivariable statistics; physical anthropology; Polynesia; Hawai'i.)
- Edo, J. The Quests for Identity in Papua New Guinea: The Bougainville Crisis. pp.39-56. (abstract; Key words: Identity pursuit; nation; sovereignty; landowners; autonomy; class; ethnicity; integration; disintegration.)
- Kuchikura, Y. Inter-Household Food Sharing in a Foothill Community in Papua New Guinea: An Adaptive Mechanism to Risk in Food Supply. pp.57-82. (abstract; Key words: foodsharing; horticulture; self-sufficiency; kin-bias; longhouse community; Samo; Kubo; Papua New Guinea.)
- Suda, K. Dietary Change among the Kubo of Western Province, Papua New Guinea, between 1988 and 1994. pp.83-98. (abstract; Key words: Papua New Guinea; Kubo; Subsistence ecology; food consumption; social change.)
- Leach, B.F., J.M. Davidson and L.M. Horwood Prehistoric Maori Fishermen at Kokohuia, Hokianga Harbour, Northland, New Zealand. pp.99-116. (abstract; Key words: New Zealand; Hokianga harbour; Kokohuia; prehistory; archaeology; fauna; fishing.)
- Endo, H. The Politics of Burial: From the Case Studies Inside and Outside of Palau. pp.117-134. (abstract; Key words: Palau; burial; funeral; politics; migration; exchange.)
- Oiji, A. The Acceptance of the Hula in Japan. pp.135-152. (abstract; Key words: Hawaii; Hula; ethnic dance; Japan; cultural acceptance; iemoto; performing arts.)
- Book Reviews
- Shirakawa, Chihiro J. Bonnemaison, "The Tree and the Canoe: History and Ethnogeography of Tanna." pp.153-156.
Vol. 12, 1996
- Fife, Wayne Education and Society in Papua New Guinea: Toward Independence 1945-1975. pp.1-18. (abstract; Key words: Papua New Guinea; contemporary history; education; cash economy; social inequality.)
- Umezaki, Masahiro and Ryutaro Ohtsuka Microdemographic Analysis for Population Structure from a Closed to Open System: A Study in the Kombio, Papua New Guinea. pp.19-30. (abstract; Key words: Rural-urban migration; post-contact period; endogamous rate; demographic change; Papua New Guinea.)
- White, J. Peter and Colin V. Murray-Wallace Site ENX (Fissoa) and the Incised and Applied Pottery Tradition in New Ireland, Papua New Guinea. pp.31-46. (abstract; Key words: Pottery; New Ireland; amino acid racemisation; Lapita; incised and applied decoration.)
- Walter, Richard and Matthew Campbell The Paraoa Site: Fishing and Fishhooks in 16th Century Mitiaro, Southern Cook Islands. pp.47-60. (abstract; Key words: Cook Islands; Mitiaro; material culture; fishhooks; settlement pattern.)
- Weisler, Marshall I. An Archaeological Survey of Mangareva: Implications for Regional Settlement Models and Interaction Studies. pp.61-85. (abstract; Key words: Polynesia,; archaeology; survey; colonization; petrography; geochemistry; exchange.)
- Kubota, Sachiko Aboriginal Women and the Monetary Economy: An Acculturation case in Northeast Arnhem Land, Australia. pp.87-101. (abstract; Key words: monetary economy; gender relationship; change in women's role; Australian Aborigines; Yolngu.)
Vol. 11, 1995
- Karakita, Yasuyuki Complimentary Superiority in Cross-Siblingship in Falalap, Woleai Atoll. pp.1-21. (Key words: Woleai Atoll; Caroline Islands; Land tenure; respect-avoidance behaviors; siblingship; matrilineal puzzle.)
- Uesugi, Tomiyuki Bridewealth/Food Exchange and Social Networks among the Murut of Sabah, East Malaysia. pp.23-43. (Key words: bridewealth; social networks; cognatic society; the Murut; Borneo.)
- Kikusawa, Ritsuko On the Meaning of Sa of the Wailevu Communalect of Fijian. pp.45-60. (Key words: Fijian, Wailevu communalect; Sa; realization of situations.)
- Fife, Wayne Education and Society in Papua New Guinea: Toward Social Inequality 1870-1945. pp.61-79. (Key words: education; cash economy; history; missionaries; Papua New Guinea; social inequalities.)
- Inaoka, Tsukasa and Ryutaro Ohtsuka Nutritionally Disadvantageous Effects of Small-Scale Marketing in a Lowland Papua New Guinea Community. pp.81-93. (Key words: cash economy; modernization; marketing; nutrition; Gidra population; Papua New Guinea.)
- Singh, Jagjit Multivariate Analysis of Fishing Patterns in the Coral Islands of the Central Pacific. pp.95-111. (Key words: population density; 200-mile economic and fisheries zone; nonparametric statistics; multivariate analysis; subsistence and commercial fishing.)
- Dodson, John R., Jenifer Chant and Julie Daly Human Impact Recorded in an Urban Wetland's Sediments in Sydney, Australia. pp.113-124. (Key words: human impacts; environmental change; sediments as indicators of human impact; Australia.)
- Book Reviews
- Matthews, Peter J. B.H. Krauss, "Plants in Hawaiian Culture." pp.125-128.
- Nakayama, Kazuyoshi Paul Frederick Kluge, "The Edge of Paradise: America in Micronesia." pp.129-130.
Vol. 10, 1994
- Finney, Ben Polynesian Voyagers to the New World. pp.1-13. (Key words: Polynesia; voyaging; sweet potato; South America; New World.)
- Butler, Brian M. Early Prehistoric Settlement in the Mariana Islands: New Evidence from Saipan. pp.15-38. (Key words: archaeology; Mariana Islands; Saipan.)
- Kasuga, Naoki Christ, the Devil, and Money: Witchcraft in Fijian History. pp.39-57. (Key words: witchcraft; history; capitalism; market economy; money; Fiji.)
- Maegawa, Keiji Strategic Adaptation of Entrepreneurs as Middlemen in Badu, Torres Strait. pp.59-79 (Key words: strategic adaptation; middleman; mediator; entrepreneur; role of the state; mode of articulation; Torres Strait; Badu.)
- Dwyer, Peter D. and Monica Minnegal Sago Palms and Variable Garden Yields: A Case Study from Papua New Guinea. pp.81-102. (Key words: Papua New Guinea; Kubo; subsistence ecology; horticulture; sago; bananas; variation in production; intensification.)
- Ohtsuka, Ryutaro An Ecological Assessment of the Low Population Density of Taro Monoculturalists in the Highland-Fringe of Papua New Guinea. pp.103-115. (Key words: taro monoculture; population density; highland-fringe of New Guinea; Mountain Ok.)
- Ulijaszek, Stanley J., Terry P. Brown and John A. Laurie Physical Work Capacity, Body Size, and Within-Household Variation in Energy and Protein Intake in the North Fly Region of Papua New Guinea. pp.117-126. (Key words: work capacity; energy; protein; body size; household.)
- Swadling, Pamela Changing Shellfish Resources and their Exploitation for Food and Artifact Production in Papua New Guinea. pp.127-150. (Key words: shellfish; shell artifacts; changing sea level; Austronesians; Lapita; prehistory; Papua New Guinea.)
- Book Reviews
- Tanahashi, Satoshi Anne Salmond, "Two Worlds: First Meetings Between Maori and Europeans, 1642-1772." pp.151-154.
- Broswimmer, Franz Hugh Laracy and Geoffrey White eds., "Taem Blong Faet: World War Two in Melanesia." pp.155-158.
Vol. 9, 1993
- Buranarugsa, Malee and Foss Leach Coordinate Geometry of Moriori Crania and Comparisons with Maori. pp.1-43. (Key words: cranial anatomy; three-dimensional geometry; multivariate analysis; Polynesian; Maori; Moriori.)
- Yoshioka, Masanori The Six-section System as a Model. Man and Culture in Oceania 9: 45-68. (Key words: six-section system; Ambrym; anthropological model; alliance and classification; genealogy and generation; marriage between adjoining generations.)
- Suda, Kazuhiro Socioeconomic Changes of Production and Consumption in Papua New Guinea Societies. pp.69-79. (Key words: Papua New Guinea; social change; production system; consumption pattern; social relation.)
- Kuchikura, Yukio Wild Yams in the Tropical Rain Forest: Abundance and Dependence among the Semaq Beri in Peninsular Malaysia. pp.81-102. (Key words: wild yam; tropical rain forest; hunter-gatherer; Peninsular Malaysia.)
- Hongo, Tetsuro and Ryutaro Ohtsuka Nutrient Compositions of Papua New Guinea Foods. pp.103-125. (Key words: Food composition; Papua New Guinea; energy; protein; moisture content.)
- Aoyagi, Yoji, Melchor L. Aguilera, Jr., Hidefumi Ogawa and Kazuhiko Tanaka Excavation of Hill Top Site, Magapit Shell Midden in Lal-lo Shell Middens, Northern Luzon, Philippines. pp.127-155.
- Saito, Hisafumi and Ippei Kawasaki References to Melanesians in Japanese War Memoirs. pp.157-163.
Vol. 8, 1992
- Yamada, Hiroyuki, Keiichi Kawamoto, Terepai Tairea and Ta Vaine Rere Early Emergence of Permanent Teeth in Children of the Cook Islands. pp.1-18. (Key words: emergence age; permanent teeth; Cook Islands; Polynesia; climate.)
- Matthews, Peter, Emiko Takei and Taihachi Kawahara Colocasia esculenta var. aquatilis on Okinawa Island, Southern Japan: The Distribution and Possible Origins of a Wild Diploid Taro. pp.19-34. (Key words: Colocasia; Ipomoea; Sus; Japan; Okinawa; Ryukyu Islands; agriculture; prehistory.)
- David, Gilbert and Esperance Cillaurren National Fisheries Development Policy for Coastal Waters, Small-Scale Village Fishing, and Food Self-Reliance in Vanuatu. pp.35-58. (Key words: developmental planning; marine resource; small-scale fishing; subsistence activity; village-level economy; Vanuatu.)
- Yoshida, Masanori Folk Healers in Multi-Ethnic Settings: The Case of Tebing Tinggi, North Sumatra, Indonesia. pp.59-88. (Key words: folk practitioner; ethnicity; Indonesia.)
- Hashimoto, Kazuya Redefining the Image of Fiji: The Anthropology of Tourism. pp.89-111. (Key words: anthropology of tourism; touristic culture; leisure tourism; feast tourism; tourism development; pleasure of tourism; image.)
- Kubota, Sachiko Household Composition in a Modern Australian Aboriginal Township. pp.113-130. (Key words: household composition; female network; change in women's role; Australian Aborigines; Arnhem Land.)
- Tanahashi, Satoshi A Note on Maasina Rule Movement: A Complementary Viewpoint. pp.131-137.
- Book Reviews
- Yoshioka, Masanori H.E. Maude ed., "Tungaru Traditions: Writings on the Atoll Culture of the Gilbert Islands." pp.139-141.
- Intoh, Michiko Rosalind L. Hunter-Anderson ed., "Recent Advances in Micronesia Archaeology." pp.143-146.
Vol. 7, 1991
- Zelenietz, Marty Invisible Islanders: Melanesians in American War Mythology. pp.1-19. (Key words: Second World War; Melanesia; racism.)
- Kawai, Toshimitsu Emotion in the Belly versus Thought in the Head: A Study of Mind, Body, and Gender on Truk. pp.21-37. (Key words: belly; head; emotion; thought; body; center; gender.)
- Duff-Cooper, Andrew Analogical Classification in Balinese Ideology in Western Lombok. pp.39-61. (Key words: analogical classification; symmetry; asymmetry; analogy; homology; local knowledge; polythesis; Vidhi (Sunya).)
- Tajima, Kazuo, Kiyoshi Katoh, Koh-ichi Hiraiwa, Haruko Komoda and Masanori Hayami No Anti-HTLV-I Antibody Positives among Polynesians in the Southern Cook Islands. pp.63-69. (Key words: human T-cell leukemia virus type I (HTLV-I); seroepidemiology; Polynesian.)
- Kataoka, Osamu Faunal Analysis of Nan Madol, Pohnpei, Micronesia. pp.71-105. (Key words: Micronesia; Pohnpei; fishing; faunal analysis.)
- Descantes, Christophe A Society Island Valley Settlement Data Recording and Manipulation Strategy. pp.107-131. (Key words: Society Islands; 'Opunohu Valley; settlement patterns; inland valley system; classification system.)
- Shutler, Richard Jr. and Jamie S. Evrard Rotuma: A Case of Archaeology Documenting the Rotuman Oral Tradition of the First Tongan Landing. pp.133-137. (Key words: )
- Book Reviews
- Tanahashi, Satoshi Jocelyn Linnekin and Lin Poyer eds., "Cultural Identity and Ethnicity in the Pacific." pp.139-141.
Vol. 6, 1990
- Goto, Akira Prehistoric Hawaiian Fishing Lore: An Integrated Approach. pp.1-34. (Key words: Polynesia; Hawaiian Islands; fish; fishing; archaeology; ecology; ethnography; historical linguistics.)
- Intoh, Michiko Ceramic Environment and Technology: A Case Study in the Yap Islands in Micronesia. pp.35-52. (Key words: Yap; ceramic technology; environment; adaptation.)
- Oda, Shizuo A Review of Archaeological Research in the Izu and Ogasawara Islands. pp.53-79. (Key words: prehistoric; Jomon; Yayoi; Izu Islands; Ogasawara Islands; Mariana Islands; Pacific; Oceania; obsidian; origins.)
- Yamamoto, Matori Transformation of Exchange Valuables in Samoa. pp.81-98. (Key words: Samoa; economic anthropology; ceremonial exchange; valuables; acculturation; gender.)
- Suda, Kazuhiro Leveling Mechanisms in a Recently Relocated Kubor Village, Papua New Guinea: A Socio-Behavioral Analysis of Sago-Making. pp.99-112. (Key words: Papua New Guinea; Kubor; sago exploitation; subsistence activity; group organization; social inequality.)
- Kuchikura, Yukio Subsistence Activities, Food Use, and Nutrition among the Mountain Ok in Central New Guinea. Man and Culture in Oceania 6:113-137. (Key words: subsistence activity; food use; nutrition; Mountain Ok; Highland-Fringe; Papua New Guinea.)
- Inaoka, Tsukasa Energy Expenditure of the Gidra in Lowland Papua: Application of the Heart Rate Method to the Field. pp.139-150. (Key words: energy expenditure; subsistence activity; heart rate method; Gidra Papuans; Papua New Guinea.)
- Katayama, Kazumichi A Scenario on Prehistoric Mongoloid Dispersals into the South Pacific, with Special Reference to Hypothetic Proto-Oceanic Connection. pp.151-159.
- Book Reviews
- Tanahashi, Satoshi Douglas L. Oliver, "Oceania: The Native Cultures of Australia and the Pacific Islands." pp.161-166.
- Intoh, Michiko Brian M. Butler ed., "Archaeological Investigations on the North Coast of Rota, Mariana Islands." pp.167-169.
Vol. 5, 1989
- Hashimoto, Kazuya Fijian Christianization: A Multidimensional Approach to Third World Christianity. pp.1-19. (Key words: acculturation; Fijian Christianity; exchange mode; communication code; contextualization; indigenization; multidimensional approach.)
- Brewis, Alexandra Reconstructions of Prehistoric Fertility: The Maori Case. pp.21-36. (Key words: paleodemography; fertility; parturition scarring; computer simulation; Maori.)
- Hanson, Douglas B. and Claire C. Gordon Mortuary Practices and Social Complexity in Micronesia: Problems and Prospects of an Emerging Archaeological Database. pp.37-66. (Key words: Micronesia; Yap Island; Mariana Islands; Rota Island; mortuary practices; social complexity; mortuary archaeology.)
- Walter, Richard An Archaeological Fishhook Assemblage from the Southern Cook Islands. pp.67-77. (Key words: Cook Islands; Ma'uke; Anai'o; prehistoric; fishhook; pearlshell; lashing device.)
- Yamada, Hiroyuki, Keiichi Kawamoto and Takuro Sakai Dental Health in Cook Islands Schoolchildren. pp.79-91. (Key words: dental health; schoolchildren; caries prevalence; DMF teeth; Cook Islands; Polynesia.)
- Nakamura, Kiyoshi Ebatan: Ritual Meal Menu in Bali. pp.93-114. (Key words: Balinese; food; cooking; ebatan; food-related behavior; the culinary triangle.)
- Bautista, Angel P. Nonmilking Attitude of Filipinos. pp.115-119.
- Book Reviews
- Marui, Eiji Shosuke Suzuki ed., "Health Ecology in Indonesia." pp.121-123.
Vol. 4, 1988
- Kuchikura, Yukio Food Use and Nutrition in a Hunting and Gathering Community in Transition, Peninsular Malaysia. pp.1-30. (Key words: food use; nutrition; Semaq Beri; hunter-gatherer; Peninsular Malaysia; sedentarization; economic change.)
- Leach, Foss, Mike Fleming, Janet Davidson, Graeme Word and John Craib Prehistoric Fishing at Mochong, Rota, Mariana Islands. pp.31-62. (Key words: fish; prehistoric; Pacific; Micronesia; marlin; swordfish; dolphinfish.)
- Katayama, Kazumichi Geographic Distribution of Auditory Exostoses in South Pacific Human Populations. pp.63-74.. (Key words: auditory exostosis; South Pacific human populations; geographic variation; Polynesians; marine resource exploitation.)
- Tagaya, Akira and Kazumichi Katayama Craniometric Variation in Polynesians: Multivariate Positioning of Male Crania from Mangaia, Cook Islands. pp.75-89. (Key words: cranial measurements; southern Cook Islands; Polynesia; racial affinity; multivariate analysis; size and shape.)
- Kamimura, Tooru The Immigrant Hero Legends and Cosmology among the Saka Enga, Papua New Guinea Highlands. pp.91-109. (Key words: Enga; cosmology; founding ancestors; immigrant hero; Sky People Advent; tripartite domains structure; Papua New Guinea.)
- Loiskandl, Helmut H. Melanesian Identity in the Making: Competing Ideologies in a Melanesian Elite. pp.111-128. (Key words: Melanesian identity; Melanesian tradition and Christian clergy; Melanesian nationalism.)
- Duff-Cooper, Andrew Paradigmatic Scenes in Balinese Ideology on Lombok. pp.129-151. (Key words: hierophanies; paradigmatic scenes; Jayaprana and Layon Sari; Ardhanarisvara; condensation.)
- Endo, Hisashi War and Trade in the Moluccas, Indonesia. pp.153-156.
Vol. 3 SPECIAL ISSUE
- Katayama, Kazumichi Physical Anthropology in Polynesia: Japanese Contribution. pp.1-18.
- Chen, Liang Zhong, Philip G. Board and Robert L. Kirk DNA Polymorphisms in Oceania: A Study of Haplotypes within the Beta-globin and the Albumin-Gc Gene Clusters. pp.19-32.
- Omoto, Keiichi Population Genetic Studies in the Philippines. pp.33-40.
- Reid, Lawrence A. The Early Switch Hypothesis: Linguistic Evidence for Contact between Negritos and Austronesians. pp.41-59.
- Peralta, Jesus T. Tasaday Revisited. pp.61-70.
- Ronquillo, Wilfredo P. The Butuan Archaeological Finds: Profound Implications for Philippines and Southeast Asian Prehistory. pp.71-78.
- Charoenwongsa, Pisit Developments in Prehistoric Thai Archaeology. pp.79-89.
- Soejono, R.P. Stone Tools of Palaeolithic Type in Lombok. pp.91-104.
- Chikamori, Masashi Archaeology on Pukapuka Atoll. pp.105-115.
- Frimigacci, Daniel and Bernard Vienne How They Become Polynesian: An Ethnoarchaeological Investigation of Futuna and Uvea. pp.117-119.
- Green, Roger C. and Dimitri Anson The Lapita Site of Watom: New Evidence from Excavations in 1985. pp.121-131.
- Bulmer, Susan Prehistoric Settlement Patterns in the Volcanic Fields of Taamaki: A Review. pp.133-156.
- Obayashi, Taryo Statistical Classification of Cultures of Southeast Asia and Oceania. pp.157-168.
- Bagus, I Gusti Ngurah Komodo National Park: Its Role in Tourism Development in Indonesia. pp.169-176.
- Yoshida, Shuji Migration Routes of the Iwam, East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea. pp.177-189.
- Yamada, Yoichi Migration and Ethnic Group Formation in the East Sepik Hills. pp.191-206.
- Ohtsuka, Ryutaro The Comparative Ecology of Inter- and Intra-Population Migration in Three Populations in Papua New Guinea. pp.207-219.
- Kumagai, Keichi Rural-Urban Migration and Ethnic Group Formation in a Papua New Guinea Town: The Case of Chimbu Migrants in Port Moresby. pp.221-238.
- Shimizu, Akitoshi Chieftainships in Micronesia. pp.239-252.
- Sudo, Ken-ichi Land Tenure and Social Structure in Micronesia. pp.253-266.
- Ishimori, Shuzo Secret Knowledge on Satawal Island, Central Carolines. pp.267-278.
- Akimichi, Tomoya Triggerfish and the Southern Cross: Cultural Associations of Fish with Stars in Micronesian Navigational Knowledge. pp.279-298.
- Sakiyama, Osamu Linguistic Evidences of New Guinea-Micronesia Connection. pp.299-303.
Vol. 3, 1987
- Igarashi, Tadataka Biosocial Variables Affecting Sundanese Fertility, West Java. pp.1-28. (Key words: fertility; Sundanese; menarche; marital age; breastfeeding; postpartum abstinence; postpartum amenorrhea.)
- Fukushima, Masato Kebatinan Mystical Sects and the Meaning of Spirit Possession in Javanese Culture. pp.29-46. (Key words: spirit possession; kebatinan mysticism; mystical sects; Semar; shadow-play; Dewa Ruci; interpretive fluctuation; cultural contradiction.)
- Mauricio, Rufino Peopling of Pohnpei Island: Migration, Dispersal and Settlement Themes in Clan Narratives. pp.47-72. (Key words: South Connection; East Connection; West Connection; section; northern/southern route theories; clan; oral tradition; settlement.)
- Walsh, John A. A Comparison of Ulithian and Yapese. pp.73-94. (Key words: Ulithi; Ulithian; Yap; Yapese; Micronesian languages; Pacific linguistics; Caroline Islands; Oceanic languages.)
- Suzuki, Takao Cribra Orbitalia in the Early Hawaiians and Mariana Islanders. pp.95-104. (Key words: cribra orbitalia; Hawaiians; Marianas; Japanese.)
- Igarashi, Yuriko, Kazumichi Katayama and Jun Takayama Human Skeletal Remains from Tuvalu with Special Reference to Artificial Cranial Deformation. pp.105-124. (Key words: human skeleton; Vaitupu atoll; Tuvalu; Central Pacific; osteometry; morphological affinity; artificial cranial deformation.)
- Akimichi, Tomoya Individual Variation and Short-Term Fluctuation in Child Growth among the Gidra in Lowland Papua New Guinea. pp.125-134.. (Key words: lowland Papua; growth velocity; individual variation; illness; short-term observation.)
- Book Reviews
- Takasaka, Kouichi Tsuguyoshi Suzuki and Ryutaro Ohtsuka eds. "Human Ecology of Health and Survival in Asia and the South Pacific." pp.135-134.
Vol. 2, 1986
- Intoh, Michiko Pigs in Micronesia: Introduction or Re-introduction by the Europeans? pp.1-26. (Key words: pig; Micronesia; prehistoric; extinct; European contact; loanword.)
- Kawabe, Toshio Introduction Variation of Body Physique in the Gidra, Papua New Guinea. pp.27-55. (Key words: lowland Papua; body physique; anthropometric measurements; body composition; intrapopulation variation.)
- Katayama, Kazumichi Human Skeletal Remains of Late Pre-European Period from Mangaia, Cook Islands. pp.57-80. (Key words: human skeleton; Mangaia; Cook Islands; Polynesia; osteometry; inter-individual variation; inter-island variation; temporal change; population affinity.)
- Buranarugsa, Malee and Foss Leach Three-dimensional Analysis of the Polynesian Skull. pp.81-100. (Key words: cranium; anatomical landmarks; three dimensions; cartesian coordinates; cephalogram; Polynesian; New Zealand; Chatham Islands.)
- Zelenietz, Marty and Hisafumi Saito Both Sides Now: Anthropological Reflections on Kilenge Reminiscences of the Second World War. pp.101-114. (Key words: Kilenge; New Britain; Papua New Guinea; Second World War; fieldwork methodology; oral tradition.)
- Kagiya, Akiko Spiritual Predominance of the Sister in Savunese Society, East Indonesia. pp.115-119.
Vol. 1, 1985
- Sudo, Ken-ichi Avoidance Behavior and Kin Category in Satawalese Society. pp.1-26. (Key words: Hawaiian kinship terminology; matrilineal society; taboo; honorific word; avoidance.)
- Yoshioka, Masanori The Marriage System of North Raga, Vanuatu. pp.27-54. (Key words: North Raga; prescriptive marriage; genealogical specification; ex-genealogical element; symmetry; asymmetry.)
- Kurita, Hiroyuki Who Came First? The Contact History of the Fasu-Speaking People, Papua New Guinea. pp.55-66. (Key words: Fasu; Southern Highlands Province; Papua New Guinea; contact history; oral tradition.)
- Suzuki, Tsuguyoshi The Traditional Art of Curing among the Gidra of the Oriomo Plateau, Papua New Guinea. pp.67-79. (Key words: traditional art of curing; Gidra; lowland Papua; medicinal use of plant; animal and soil; supernatural force; etiology of disorder.)
- Katayama, Kazumichi Human Skeletal Remains from Makin Atoll of the Gilbert Islands, Micronesia. pp.81-120. (Key words: human skeleton; Gilbert Islands; Polynesia; Micronesia; Melanesia; population affinity.)
- Moji, Kazuhiko and Hiroshi Koyama A Time-Saving Spot-check Method Applied to a Sundanese Peasant Community in West Java. pp.121-127.
Back to Official Journal page